After the long winter of 1941, the German Wehrmacht launched a massive summer offensive in June of 1942 codenamed “Case Blue”. The goal of this operation was to capture the oil-rich lands of the Caucasus region. Case Blue achieved spectacular early gains, but met with strong resistance around Stalingrad.
Take part in a series of scenarios, challenges and battles based upon this operation. Command the mighty German war machine and lead their forces to victory from spring through to the harsh winter of 1942.
Co-Op Scenario: Voronezh
- VORONEZH, RUSSIA, USSR. June 28 1942, Germany's summer offensive must secure several routes to Stalingrad, but the Red Army holds defensible positions along the Don River. As a part of Case Blue, the Wehrmacht fights to capture and hold the populous Russian city of Voronezh. German infantry forces hold ground within the city, but armor support must break through Soviet defenses and counter enemy tanks. Control bridges to bring armor into the city, and command a unified army to smash the Soviet defenders.
- Play with a co-op ally: Player 1 (top) commands vehicles; Player 2 (bottom) commands infantry.
Solo Challenge: Tiger Ace
- VOLGA RIVER BASIN, RUSSIA, USSR. September 1942, The Wehrmacht has nearly reached Stalingrad, and the Red Army has struggled to answer the Case Blue advance. Towns and villages throughout the western USSR were evacuated as military forces dug in and prepared for the German assault. An early production Tiger Tank has arrived at the front to drive Army Group B toward its goal.
Solo Challenge: Destroy a Convoy
- NEAR STALINGRAD, USSR. November 1942, The Soviets tenaciously hold on to Stalingrad, despite terrible losses and scarce supplies. The Bolsheviks supply lines must be cut if they are finally going to be driven from the city. Use a small force of Pioneers and Grenadiers to eliminate Soviet convoys into the city.
AI Battle: Don River
- DON RIVER VALLEY, USSR. December 1942, The Russian winter has once again put an end to German advances into the Soviet Union. The Red Army has launched a massive counteroffensive aimed at erasing all the gains of Case Blue. Along the Don River, the Wehrmacht's flank is under attack by two Soviet battle groups, but the Germans are hardly unprepared. A powerful howitzer guards the river crossing, but it is unclear if it will be enough to stem the Soviet tide.
AI Battle: Kharkov
- KHARKOV, UKRAINE, USSR. May 1942, The Red Army has retaken the industrial city of Kharkov, attempting to take the initiative in the second year of its war with the Third Reich. Marshal Timoshenko's forces are overextended, however, and General Paulus and the Wehrmacht's Sixth Army are charged with reoccupying the city. Timoshenko's forces will not give ground easily, however, and they have successfully mobilized local partisans to help with the defense.